Elevate your breakfast game with our blood pressure friendly Eggs Benedict – made with grilled tomato and a whole wheat English muffin!
Eggs Benedict with Grilled Tomato and Whole Wheat English Muffin
- 2 whole wheat English muffins, split and toasted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings: chopped chives or parsley
- Preheat a grill pan or outdoor grill to medium-high heat.
- Brush the tomato slices with a little bit of olive oil and grill for 2-3 minutes on each side, until slightly charred and softened.
- In a small saucepan, bring 2-3 inches of water to a simmer. Add the white vinegar to the water.
- Crack the eggs into separate small bowls or ramekins.
- Gently slide the eggs into the simmering water and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the whites are set and the yolks are still runny.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, garlic powder, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- To assemble, place a toasted English muffin half on a plate, followed by a grilled tomato slice. Place a poached egg on top of the tomato slice.
- Spoon the Greek yogurt sauce over the top of the egg, and sprinkle with chopped chives or parsley if desired.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make a second serving.
- To make the poached eggs easier to handle, you can use a slotted spoon to remove them from the water and place them on a paper towel to drain off excess water.
- If you’re short on time, you can use a store-bought hollandaise sauce instead of making your own Greek yogurt sauce.
- For an extra boost of flavor, you can add a few drops of hot sauce to the Greek yogurt sauce.