Enjoy a classic comfort food combo with a healthy twist! Learn how to make a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup that’s blood pressure friendly.
Grilled Cheese Sandwich With Tomato Soup
- 4 slices of whole wheat bread
- 2 slices of low-sodium cheddar cheese
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat.
- Place 1 slice of cheese and a few tomato slices between two slices of bread to make 2 sandwiches.
- Brush the top of each sandwich with olive oil.
- Grill the sandwiches for 2-3 minutes on each side, until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- In a separate saucepan, sauté onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon of olive oil until softened.
- Add the chopped tomato, vegetable broth, and water to the saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let the soup simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Blend the soup with an immersion blender or transfer to a blender to puree until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the soup alongside the grilled cheese sandwich.
- Be sure to choose whole wheat bread that is low in sodium.
- Opt for low-sodium cheese to keep this meal blood pressure friendly.
- When making the tomato soup, be sure to use fresh tomatoes to maximize the health benefits.