Looking for a healthy and flavorful breakfast? Try this easy Shakshuka with Whole Wheat Pita recipe – low in calories and blood pressure friendly!
Shakshuka with Whole Wheat Pita
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Whole Wheat Pita Bread
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large oven-safe skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and red bell pepper and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper and cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
- Pour the diced tomatoes into the skillet and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Crack the eggs into the skillet, evenly spaced around the pan.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the egg whites are set but the yolks are still runny.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with chopped parsley, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with Whole Wheat Pita Bread on the side.
- Be sure to use an oven-safe skillet for this recipe.
- Make sure the egg whites are set before removing the skillet from the oven to ensure that the eggs are fully cooked.
- Adjust the amount of cayenne pepper to your desired level of spiciness.
- You can also add some leafy greens such as spinach to the sauce for extra nutrients.